The following factors have been proposed as possible risk factors, but whether these factors actually increase an individual’s risk of a brain tumor is not known for sure, hence the need for further research and funding.
- Radiation to the head
- An inherited (genetic) risk
- HIV infection
- Cigarette smoking
- Environmental toxins
Worryingly little is known about this disease, other than some devastating statistics.
- Brain cancer the leading cause of cancer death for people under the age of 39
- Brain cancer in children aged under 15 accounts for one third of all cancer deaths in this age group
- It carries the highest financial burden of all cancers
- It receives very little research funding